--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- sparaig wrote:
> >
> > as one of the Sikhs once told a friend of mine: people are
> > born into power and affluence by virtue of their past lives.
>
> I've accepted this belief for many years, and for all I
> know it's true. But even if it is, there could be many
> other reasons why (1) a person is able to amass a
> fortune, or (2) a person is born into a family with
> wealth. I agree there's no point in criticising people
> with power and wealth, but neither is there any point in
> ascribing virtue to them that they may not, in fact, merit.

It's what they do with their power and wealth that
counts.

And money doesn't buy happiness and all that.  Money
can make you just as miserable as poverty, just in
different (and maybe in some cases more difficult to
deal with) ways.  Seems to me it could be a karmic
"punishment" just as well as a karmic "reward" (if
one thinks in those terms about karma, which I don't
believe one should).