Thought the group would find this interesting...

Psychics to try contacting Lennon in TV seance
Pay-per-view show has been slammed by critics

Reuters
Updated: 4:03 p.m. ET March 16, 2006

LOS ANGELES - Imagine John Lennon spinning in his grave.

The ex-Beatle, who was murdered over 25 years ago, is the latest
subject of a
pay-per-view seance arranged by the producers of a 2003 attempt to
contact the
dead Princess Diana. That show made money but was slammed by critics
as hitting
a new low in television tastelessness.

"People say this is disgusting and I accept that criticism, but we're
making a
serious attempt to do something that many, many millions of people
around the
world think is possible," said Paul Sharratt, who heads Starcast
Productions,
which made "The Spirit of Diana." That show drew over half a million
U.S.
viewers willing to pay $14.95 to watch it.

The Lennon show will air on April 24 on a pay-per-view channel and
cost $9.95.

Sharratt himself is a "non-believer," and admits to not being totally
convinced
otherwise after psychics attempted to contact the dead princess in
the 2003
program. Nevertheless, it made for some great television, he said.

"I have to say that I'm a skeptic. I went into it very skeptically
and I didn't
come out a total believer, but it was good for a lot of people as a
tribute to
Diana," he said.

Sharratt said he chose Lennon because the former Beatle, like Diana,
is an icon
and was also a deeply spiritual person. "Lennon was very interested
in the
spiritual world. It's a natural follow-up to the Diana seance," he
said.

"The Spirit of John Lennon" is being done without the knowledge or
consent of
John Lennon's estate. A spokesman for Yoko Ono, Lennon's widow, had
no immediate
comment.

Sharratt said, "We are writing to Yoko and contacting friends this
week to see
if any people associated with Lennon would take part."

The program will show psychics traveling to sites of significance to
the former
Beatle, including New York's Dakota apartment house, where he lived
and was
fatally shot by a deranged fan, Mark David Chapman, just over 25
years ago.

Psychics will also visit the Capitol Records Building in Los Angeles
where the
Beatles recorded, and a town in India where Lennon pursued a
spiritual retreat.

Sharratt said the Indian sequence will feature a spirit reader at an
ashram who believes he can contact Lennon to receive musical notes
and lyrics from the
other side.

Any notations will be flown to Los Angeles, where a composer will
arrange the
notes, add vocals and backgrounds to produce a new song.

The special will culminate as psychics, colleagues and confidantes
sit at a
seance table for 30 minutes surrounded by infra-red cameras that can
capture any
"presence" or spirit that enters the room.

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or
redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the
prior
written consent of Reuters.

© 2006 MSNBC.com