On Mar 18, 2006, at 12:23 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:

> I remain unconvinced. I still think that people
> believe this because they were told that it was
> true, in many cases by those who were selling
> these "better vehicles." Saying it doesn't
> necessarily make it true.
>
> The analogy I think is appropriate here is Dumbo's
> feather. Dumbo the elephant believed that the
> "magic feather" given to him was what enabled
> him to fly, and that it was special. But it was
> a trick. He never needed *anything* to be able
> to fly.

Until a person reaches the point of the All-Ground and experiences
the manifestation of their own mandala as the manifestation of sound,
light and rays, one *is* merely relying on some authority or some
explanation of that experience, either indirectly through tradition
or through some other means (e.g. scriptural authority). Sound in
that instance *is* mantra. However through other experiences
approaching the self-manifestation of the mandala (and the process of
revelation) one can gain significant confidence that sound plays an
important role in experiencing different aspects of creation or even
just our own thoughts. "Hearing" being the sense that is most like
the space (akasha) element, it is the subtlest of senses and very
useful therefore for transcending easily, esp. if one is using subtle
speech: mentations, rather than gross speech.

.02 USD