--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anon_astute_ff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <jflanegi@>
wrote:

> > Those pro-war shouldn't waste their time protesting. They should
> > en masse head for the nearest recruiting station and enlist, in
> > the infantry.
>
> Thats an interesting perspective. Do you feel that the underlying
> principal should apply to all wars, or just this one?
>
> Should the reverse be true: if you are against the war, should one
> block troop trains and planes, and be willing to go to jail to stop
> the war? (In vietnam era, many felt this was true).

Not equivalent.

We're short on recruits, and the troops in Iraq are
exhausted.  Even a single new recruit helps the war
effort a little.

One single individual going to jail in protest is not
going to impede the war effort in the slightest.

Those who are pro-war can be successful directly in
proportion to their numbers if they enlist.  Those
who are antiwar can be successful *only* if their
numbers are massive (e.g., enough to elect an antiwar
president).