> At one point in one of Michael's diatribes at me for
> having questioned something he said, he declared that
> it was really Nature who was dumping on me; he was
> just passing on Nature's displeasure.

Michael sitting on the right-hand side of God.

> So there's more to it than pointing out the
> shortcomings of any one particular individual.  Too
> many people simply accept what they read and hear
> without applying critical thinking.

How do you know? That presumes that silence is acquiesence. Not all
feel or respond that way. An alternative view is that "responders took
the bait".

It doesn't take much critical thinking to see that some posters
respond to phantoms -- words that are not there, ideas not presented.
Either via deviousness or deep clumsiness, they create ghost post
worlds and respond to them. Whether one cares to reply to or comment
on such silliness is another matter.

> <snip>
> > > There's also an underlying sense--which may or may
> > > not be accurate but does have some influence on how
> > > people see things--that if one doesn't rebut something
> > > someone else has said, it's because one doesn't *have*
> > > a rebuttal, that silence constitutes acquiescence, and
> > > that what the person has said must be accurate.

Why would one ever presume that? Quite a different mind set than mine.
In some if not many caess, silence is the most powerful statement. It
implies the post is not worthy of a response. Its a snub. Perhaps
rude, but less so than being pulled into the mire with someone who has
no respect for facts, logic and sincere inquiry.

> > I disagree very strongly here. Silence simply means silence, no
> > agreement. How would you ever break the vicious circle of everybody
> > wanting to have the last word? I reserve for myself the right to
> > step out of an argument at any time without further comment, and
> > expect that anbody else may do the same.
>
> I think you may be unusual in this regard.

Ah, a forum made up of unsual people. What a treat.