> on 3/19/06 10:02 AM, peterklutz at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer <fairfieldlife@>
> > wrote:

> > Maharishi?
> >>
> >> They were already doing great before him. Strange question.
> >>

> > Freeze time at just the moment before Maharishi came into the lives of
> > the Beatles and extrapolate from there: where would they and their
> > music have been without the creative influence MMY had on them?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgt._Pepper's_Lonely_Hearts_Club_Band
>
> Sgt. Pepper came out before the Beatles met Maharishi. It is widely
regarded
> as the greatest rock album ever. Way better than the White Album,
IMO. If
> they had done nothing after Sgt. Pepper, they would still be
remembered as
> the greatest rock band ever.

Not to take anything away from Sgt. Pepper. It was for a long time the
most *successfull* album, if it was the best ever is a matter of taste
of course. You seem to forget that right after Sgt Pepper, Magical
Mystery Tour came out, which was a total flop, and was regarded as one
of their worst albums, *before* they went to India with MMY. Also, Sgt
Pepper success and quality was partely due to the involvement of the
London Symphoney Orchester, the orchestration for which was almost
exclusively written by George Martin.The effort that was put into the
album was immense. After that, and after the failure of Magical
Mystery Tour. the Beatles wanted to go back to a more basic style,
which was done in the white Album. But the white album was a double
album and contained many more songs, many of them where very simple,
some just using acoustic guitar and voice, like 'Blackbird' According
to George Martin the material should have been edited to just one
album, working more on a selection of the better songs. So clearly,
the problem was not a lack of creativity and song material. In fact
the Beatles had written so much material in Rishikesh, that it still
was used for two more albums, Let it Be and Abbey Road. Some of the
compositions were only released after the Beatles had split, like
'Jealous Guy' one of the most beautiful balads of John next to
imagine. 'Across the Universe' was also written in Rishikesh. So all
in all, the period of Rishikesh itself, and after it was extremely
creative, 'Hey jude' was just written right after the Indian visit by
Paul and is regarded as one of the Beatles biggest success. Just the
White Album was badly edited and contained too many songs.