--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anon_astute_ff <no_reply@>
> wrote:

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anon_astute_ff <no_reply@>

> <jflanegi@>

> should
> in

> underlying

> one
> stop
> > >
> > > Not equivalent.
> > >
> > > We're short on recruits, and the troops in Iraq are
> > > exhausted.  Even a single new recruit helps the war
> > > effort a little.
> >
> > I am sorry, I don't follow your logic. "We're short on recruits" so
> > blocking troop trains and planes (or something more creative) will
> > not slow the war effort?
> >
> > > One single individual going to jail in protest is not
> > > going to impede the war effort in the slightest.
> >
> > Ghandi and MLK would disagree by example.
> >
> > And as far "going to jail", I am surprised at your argument. A
> growing
> > number of people going to jail, as in vietnam and civil rights
> > movement would have an effect, IMO. "A growing number" starts with
> the
> > commitment of individuals.
> >
> > But all of this skirts the issue. I asked, "Should the reverse be
> > true: if you are against the war, should one block troop trains and
> > planes, and be willing to go to jail to stop the war? "
> >
> > If my example is weak, perhaps you can pose a better example of
> > "Should the reverse be true...."
> >

> > > Those who are pro-war can be successful directly in
> > > proportion to their numbers if they enlist.
> >
> > I am not sure of this logic. Many predict troop drawdowns by
> summer --
> > during congressional campaigns.
> >
> > > Those
> > > who are antiwar can be successful *only* if their
> > > numbers are massive (e.g., enough to elect an antiwar
> > > president).
> >
> > As in every congressional election, individuals, can make big a
> > difference. A small group of dedicated individuals can create
> alarge
> > impact. Massive not required. Though nice, and why not massive?
> >
> Judy, keep your puppy-chow close by for this one ;)

Jim, by your comment I assume you disagree with my analysis but some
how can't come up with a cogent arguement to enlighten us as to why,
resorting to apparently snide remarks.

Which points do you specifically disagree with?

1) Ghandi and MLK would disagree by example that a single individual
going to jail will not make a difference.

2) A  growing number of people going to jail, as in vietnam and civil
rights movement would have an effect, IMO. "A growing number" starts
with  the commitment of individuals.

3) Many predict troop drawdowns by  summer -- during congressional
campaigns.

4) As in every congressional election, individuals, can make big a
difference.

5) A small group of dedicated individuals can create a large impact.

6) Massive not required. Though nice, and why not massive?

Each point seems reasonable to me, but I await your enlightened
insight to provide greater clarity on these points.