--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "anonyff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On TTC in Mallorca, Jan-June 1971, Brahmarishi Devarat and his son
> (who looked like Tonto from the Lone Ranger) were often at meetings
> and we would ask Devarat question after question and Maharishi was
our
> interpreter. My appeared to be having great fun in this job, he
often
> found Devarat's answers both funny and illuminating.
>
> Someone asked him this question-if there is anything we can say to
> someone who is dying. As near as I can recall, he told us to say,
in
> the person's ear, *wok, wok, wok*   I believe it is actually
spelled
> vak and I also think I remember it is translated as *speech* or
> *sound*   I cannot remember the reason for saying this.
>
> I know for me, having been in the presence of several people/pets
at
> the moment they made this transition out of life, I have done
various
> things, depending on what was in my heart/mind to do at this time.
> Sometimes it was whispering the mantras I know (as a TM teacher,
and
> whether or not the person was a TM meditator), sometimes/in
addition
> it was the puja, or om namah shivaya.
>
> I would suggest to do something very personal and very meaningful
> you at that time. I mean, who really knows. Does anyone think that
you
> can somehow help a person circumvent their personal karma just by
> saying the right thing at their moment of death?

*****************

The karma has a person has coming is ordinarily going to get to
them, all the good and bad things, but funnily enough, it is the
very last thought that a person has that determines his next birth,
as told in many stories in the Vedic literature. So it doesn't make
a great deal of difference if somebody gets eaten by a tiger, and
his last thought is totally focused on that beast, causing one to be
born as a tiger, because this, like any life, is only a temporary
thing.

But there is another possibility addressed in the Vedic literature,
namely, that one can gain liberation by means of the last thought
(like a thought of complete identification with Krishna or Vishnu),
but this would likely only happen if a person was dedicated to
seeking enlightenment in his lifetime already, and that last thought
was a natural step -- although there are also stories of people who,
facing death, completely abandoned their lifelong ignorance and
gained liberation in a short period before death.

Our notions of what is fair fall apart when you realize that it's
everybody's birthright to enjoy liberation, regardless of what one
has done or not done, it's just a matter of wiping a little mud off,
and an intense last thought can do that -- although it's not the way
to bet, like they say; it's better to live a life oriented toward
expansion of awareness rather than wait till the last minute,
especially since there may be no control over one's circumstances at
the time of death.