On Mar 26, 2006, at 8:20 AM, markmeredith2002 wrote:

I worked with corporate executives and couldn't disagree more.  I
can't begin to see Bevan functioning outside the unique movt envt, esp
at this point when he comes across as so imbalanced.  I can't imagine
bringing bevan in to try to talk executives into starting tm, or bevan
successfully running an organization.

Bevan never ran the university on a day to day practical level.

Mark,
This is so true. When I got my MA there in the early 90s, the one and only time we ever saw Bevan was at graduation, when he flew in just in time to hand out diplomas. As you say, he has little real idea of how to accomplish the day-to-day things that any good administrator needs to make to keep things running, and very few managerial skills that would enable such a large number of people to work together to keep the place going. If it hadn't been for the constant bailouts year after year he'd have been out of a job long ago. What he has contributed is not clear, but it sure isn't anything obvious or practical. The school has long been like a rudderless ship.

He's
hardly been there the past 20 yrs, except periodically to fire people
not deemed loyal and generally keep up the fear and cult atmosphere.
Before his leadership the university was an intellectually and
spiritually exciting place.  It's been in decline ever since.