--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Robert Gimbel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> (snip)
>
>   There doesn't seem any particular reason for Lapham publishing
this book at this time. It can be read in an hour or two and does
not press any claim for relevance. Which is nice, in a way. What the
book does best is re-create, as if it were a time capsule, a
cultural moment that will never be repeated, a kind of last hurrah
of credulity and a first hurrah of the corporatised celebrity-power
we live amid today.

>   "The scene retains its force," Lapham writes, "because I now
know that it occurs at almost the precise moment, late February
1968, at which the flood tide of generous thought and optimistic
feeling that formed the promise of the 1960s turns on the ebb ...
Another 20 months and the Beatles were no longer together as a band,
President Richard M. Nixon was in the White House with his 'madman
theory' of geopolitics, and cocaine was outselling marijuana on the
markets in transcendence."

Reviews like this one are almost always written
by someone who wasn't there and wishes he had been.

My personal feeling for the "turning point" of those
times was that the pivotal point was in early 1967,
and that everything else was downhill from there. All
the rest -- the Beatles with Maharishi, the commer-
cialization of hippie, the free love stuff -- all
of that was an attempt to capture a fleeting taste
of a phenmomenon that was already over.