anon_astute_ff wrote:
> Interesting how people want to assume that Soma is current
> hallucinogens.

Hallucinogen ingestion has existed since the beginning of plant
cultivation. Apparently one of the first plants domesticated by man
was the barley plant, from which the ancients made beer. Closely
followed by hemp and then shrooms. There's no evidence that alcaloid
use is a recent practice in India. Millions of yogis, fakirs, and
saints chew betel nut and dip snuff on a daily basis in India and have
done so for thousands of years.

> McKenna probably believed is own mind while tripping.

Maybe so, but there's no evidence that McKenna ever tripped on anything.

> Baseless assumption.

We can assume that what was composed in Mandala X in the Rig Veda by
the rishis was an accurate description of a decotion called Soma. I
therefore infer from the scriptures that Amrita is the Food of the
Gods, an elixir that enabled immortality. Maybe you've got a better
theory than McKenna - if so please post it here.