> In the furor surrounding the revelation that Bush
> himself approved the "outing" of Valerie Plame

In fact, there has been no such revelation.

The revelation is that Scooter Libby, Cheney's former
chief of staff (currently under indictment for
obstruction of justice), according to special
prosecutor Fitzgerald in a court filing, claims that
Cheney told him that Bush had authorized the leaking
of certain information from a classified National
Intelligence Estimate to a reporter 10 days before
parts of that NIE were declassified and released to
the public.

What connection, if any, that leak has to the outing
of Plame is unclear.  The preponderance of legal
opinion at this point is that the leak of the NIE
information, while it did not follow established
procedures, was not a crime per se (although it was
hypocritical in the extreme given Bush's
condemnation of leaks generally, and the fact that
the NIE leak appears to have been made for political
purposes).

There's also a question (but not Fitzgerald's question,
at least so far) as to whether Bush and Cheney, in
their interviews with Fitzgerald, may have effectively
lied in not revealing that Bush had authorized the NIE
leak.

, a