On Apr 11, 2006, at 12:43 PM, anon_couscous_ff wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajranatha@> wrote:

> discipline, and
> The
> intellectual) ,
> > >
> > > Bingo!
> >
> > There simply is no 'talking school'. It's an invention of whomever.
> > Shravana means listening. Manana means thinking. Listening and
> > thinking go hand in hand.
>
> And need not be done in groups. ("listening" beingbroadly define as
> accepting input -- from reading, inquiry, attention on saints,etc.)
>
> > Even Shankara himself stated that there
> > cannot be a practise to 'achieve' enlightenment, only the Self can
> > realize itself.
>
> Which is a statement for "teaching" but is not Truth. Its pretty funny
> indeed.  The Self wakes up and realizes ItSelf??? So the Self was
> sleeping before??? haha.
>
> CICI (Consciousness is Conscious of Itself) is eternal. Not an off/on
> phenomenon. What it is that "wakes up" locally to realize / know /
> experience that CICI maybe a mystery of sorts. Why do some humans
> realize IT, and a rock doesn't? (For CICI in a rock just as much as in
> a human.) It at least in part is triggered by understanding / insight
> (though triggered by such, IT is not a mere understanding in itself)
> -- available to humans via the intellect, something not available to a
> rock. But the trigger and resulting living appreciation that CICI has
> nothing to do with Consciousness waking up or realizing itself -from a
> state of non-realization.)
>
> And this does open the door for an immediate trigger -- which could be
> via satsang, or reading statements of truth, or simply deep analysis
> and "figuring out" the insight/trigger. (And the stability of the
> post-trigger state may vary.)

In this case I believe what Adi Da is referring to is "talking
school" is the Satsang "school"--it's his choice of english words for
his (primarily) western audience. It is also interesting because it
brings into play the role of *intellectual illumination* which is a
style of realization often ignored in the satsang/Neo-advaita
setting. I have a wonderful example of this of a Christian meditator,
where the entire group shared the experience. It is temporary,
although deeply illuminating.

"minimal, weak, superficial, temporary, and merely mental (or
intellectual)" as he puts it.

We should not overlook this experience of super-subtle thought.