> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
wrote:

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer
> <fairfieldlife@>

> > recently.
> > > These
> > March
> > > 25 & 26,
> > Dr.
> > > John
> > >
> > > I guess I downloaded the second one.  I watched it a few
> > > days ago.
> > >
> > > I'd never seen Donovan in concert before, and I'm only
> > > familiar with his biggest hits.  I don't find his music
> > > all that interesting, in fact (and his guitar playing
> > > seemed primitive at best).
> > >
> > > But I was utterly charmed by him as a performer.  What
> > > a generous and completely unassuming guy he is!  His
> > > performance was all for the audience, to give them
> > > pleasure.  He appeared to be utterly unconcerned with
> > > showing off or coming across as a Big Deal.
> >
> > In the Q&A with Donovan someone commmented on how real he seemed
at
> > the MUM concert as opposed to on his tour and his response was
> > basically that he preferred to be real, but commercial concerts
> > require a different style from performers.
>
> Ah.  This one was very intimate, as if he were performing
> for friends, which I guess is what he felt he was doing.

I saw him once at the Combridge Folk Festival many years ago. He
wasn't QUITE as open there as at the MUM concert, but not everyone
was a fellow student of MMY's, so there was still a certain distance
he maintained, I think. Of course, many people weren't TMers at the
MUM concert, either, but I'm sure he felt more comfortable at both
places than in a commercial hall with people hawking his recordings
and T-shirts and so on.