While he's often right on, I think Jody (Guruphiliac) missed
the boat on this one. While the lawyer in question may be
Christian, what he's saying in his lawsuit is *correct*:
it's fuckin' inappropriate for *any* judge *anywhere*
to be able to compel *anyone* to practice *any* form of
meditation or spiritual practice for *any* reason. Period.

Maharishi never got this, IMO because he's a control
freak who *already* believes that he should be able to
run the lives of his teachers the way *he* feels they
should be run.  It's a short hop from believing that to
believing that he has the right to mandate the lifestyle
of everyone else in society.  And he's on record as
believing that he *does* have that right, and that TM
*should* be mandated by governments.

Talk about missing the point.  Personally, I don't see
that much difference between Maharishi's stance on this
subject and that of the Ayatollahs in Iran or Afghanistan
who wish to "enforce" Islam, or that of religious fanatics
in every society and in every time who have felt they had
the right to impose their beliefs on others.

The real issue is freedom of choice with regard to one's
spiritual or meditational practices.  In my opinion, anyone
who is willing to take that freedom away from someone, while
claiming it's "for their own good," is on the same level as
the despot or dictator who would take away their physical
freedom.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/4/112006e.asp
>
> Jody (Guruphiliac) comments quite rightly:
>
> That bulwark of spiritual ignorance impeding progress and cultural
> evolution, the American Family Association, is going after the
judge
> who sentenced a crack-smoking vote defrauder to a course in
TM&#8482;.
> Actually, it's TMSM, or Transcendental Meditation Stress
Management,
> and not affiliated with the Madharishi anymore.Leading the charge
for
> the AFA is lawyer Brian Fahling:"You've got a governmental actor
who's
> ordering an individual to participate in something that perhaps may
> run contrary to their own particular beliefs and belief system."
> Still, the attorney says he is not really surprised by the judge's
> order because it is consistent with a larger trend toward
> secularization that is progressing in America.Wait a minute... The
> government is ordering an individual to participate in something
that
> is being construed as a religious belief, yet the fact of this is
> evidence of the progressing secularization of America?We guess the
guy
> is as uptight about his idea of religion as he looks in his
photograph.

http://www.agapepress.org/PhotoArchives/PhotoFiles/LoRes/BFahling_LoR
es.jpg