TurquoiseB wrote:

>Last Christmas my brother gave me a DVD set of the
>first season of the TV series 'Lost.'  Evil bastard.
>
>It's a weird soap opera, but as addicting (and as
>revelatory) as any other soap opera, if you allow
>it to be.  I allowed it to be.  I have a weakness
>for soap operas because they tend to portray the
>reality of most people's everyday lives *much* more
>accurately than the "great works" do.  The "great
>works" are all about pretense and trying to see
>nobility in the stupid shit we do; soap operas are
>about *accepting* the stupid shit we do, laughing
>at it, and thus learning a little from it.
>
>Besides, 'Lost' is a TV show for which the 'pitch'
>was probably something along the lines of, "Well...
>it's basically 'Survivor' meets 'X Files'...we'll
>get them hooked on the basic concept in the first
>season, and then *really* fuck with their minds in
>the next seasons..."
>
>Their marketing ploy worked, at least on me. I've
>been waiting with 'bated breath for the second
>season to run in France, and unfortunately need
>to keep waiting, cuz it doesn't seem to be on the
>horizon anytime soon.  But it is showing in the
>US, for those of you who need a good addiction to
>add to your lives.  Here's a good review of the
>series, from (of all places) Tricycle, a respected
>Buddhist periodical:
>
>http://tricycle.com/issues/editors_pick/1899-1.html
>
>The reviewer's book, "Cinema Nirvana: Enlightenment
>Lessons from the Movies," sounds worth looking into,
>too...

A friend got me hooked on Lost last fall.  I have the added attraction
of being able to watch it in HDTV. :)  It is a good series.

I usually don't watch much network TV but last fall the media moguls
launched new weapons of mass distraction by offering a bunch of science
fiction shows.  NBC had "Surface" on Mondays which is a cutesy mix of
Gremlins, Godzilla in a B movie sort of way just good enough to keep you
tuned in each week (also in HD).   Then ABC followed "Lost" with
"Invasion" another B movie type offering with William Fitcher (whose
roll as the cop in the movie "Go" was a hoot).  Again just good enough
to keep you tuned in.  Then CBS offered Threshold which was canceled
after a while.  I don't know what CBS tells producers as this series
started out interesting but still had that soft CBS edge to it.  All of
these were in HDTV.

On the occult side of things CBS launched "Ghost Whisperer" which is
pretty much targeted at the female crowd and a little soft too though
they are starting to do more of the dark side of the occult.   The
writing is better than NBC's "The Medium" but not that much better.
"The Medium" was following the much better written "Las Vegas" until
they moved "Las Vegas" recently to Fridays.  I think that James Caan
threatens to walk if the scripts are too dumb.  And speaking of CBS and
bad writing I was very disappointed with "The Unit" which seems to lack
any of the kind of writing I would associate with David Mamet who
produces.  I gave up on it.

The WB is offering "Supernatural" produced by Kim Manners of the X-Files
and though definitely targeted at the Buffy crowd worth a watch.
Unfortunately the WB channel is still not offered in HD on my cable
system. :-(

But we also don't get Universal HD channel except for during the Winter
Olympics recently and so I am stuck watching "Battlestar Gallactica" in
SD (blurry vision) except for 3 episodes shown during the Olympics.   If
you haven't already seen it the first season of BG is on DVD and is well
written.

Now "The Sopranos" has started up on HBO followed by a hilarious new
show "Big Love" about Mormon polygamists.  That's followed by "Huff"
another great show on "Showtime." (All in HD of course)  Ugh, too much TV!