--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > On Apr 17, 2006, at 11:08 PM, sparaig wrote:
> >
> > > Plenty of people mistake depersonalization due to stress for
> > > witnessing, even though the EEG traces are completely different. Just
> > > because someone describes an internal state the same way, doesn't
> > > mean its really the same state.
>
> Please elaborate.
>
> A friend told me that, as she was being told she had
> a tumor in her breast, she felt she was outside of
> herself, watching this horrible thing happen to her.
> Is this an example of what you call "depersonalization
> due to stress", Lawson?
>
> Where and how did anyone compare the EEG traces of
> depersonalization and true witnessing?

Not directly, but the EEG of depersonalization due to stress has been studied
and its
different than what is found in TMers reporting witnessing.

In fact, it can be  close to what people who practice intellect-based
techniques show, EEG-
wise. There's an imbalance in EEG activities between the two hemisphers,
suggesting to
some researchers that there is a tendency to over-intellectualize all
experiences as a way
of pushing away the unpleasant emotional content of their stress.