Last Sunday I went into my corner 7-Eleven to pick up
a few things.  As I was paying at the counter, the
clerk--a friendly young Indian guy who likes to banter
with customers--asked me if I'd had a nice Easter.

I'd forgotten.  I said, "Was today Easter?"  He looked
surprised, and I said, "I'm not religious."  Then I put
on a pious _expression_ and said, "But I'm very spiritual."

He chuckled.  Then he said, "Do you meditate?"  I said
yes, I did.  He looked pleased.  Then he said, "Do you
use OM?"

I said "No, but I'm not going to tell you what my
mantra is."

He responded, "Oh, they say meditation that doesn't
use OM can't be effective."

I said I'd heard that too.  He grinned and handed me
my change.

That was the end of the conversation, but after I left
I thought how neat it was to connect, however briefly,
with a clerk in a convenience store on a relatively
sophisticated level of meditation lore.