sparaig wrote:

>--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>authfriend wrote:
>>

>>>Last Sunday I went into my corner 7-Eleven to pick up
>>>a few things.  As I was paying at the counter, the
>>>clerk--a friendly young Indian guy who likes to banter
>>>with customers--asked me if I'd had a nice Easter.
>>>
>>>I'd forgotten.  I said, "Was today Easter?"  He looked
>>>surprised, and I said, "I'm not religious."  Then I put
>>>on a pious _expression_ and said, "But I'm very spiritual."
>>>
>>>He chuckled.  Then he said, "Do you meditate?"  I said
>>>yes, I did.  He looked pleased.  Then he said, "Do you
>>>use OM?"
>>>
>>>I said "No, but I'm not going to tell you what my
>>>mantra is."
>>>
>>>He responded, "Oh, they say meditation that doesn't
>>>use OM can't be effective."
>>>
>>>I said I'd heard that too.  He grinned and handed me
>>>my change.
>>>
>>>That was the end of the conversation, but after I left
>>>I thought how neat it was to connect, however briefly,
>>>with a clerk in a convenience store on a relatively
>>>sophisticated level of meditation lore.
>>>

>>You may recall over on a.m.t that I suggested given that you are in
>>

>New

>>Jersey which has quite an Indian community to make the acquaintance
>>

>of

>>some of those folks.  Try an Indian grocery next.  They love to
>>

>have

>>Americans visit them and chat.
>>

>So none of them are citizens?

Some may still be waiting for citizenship.  Others may have even been
born here but you can almost write them off about knowing much Indian.
I had tell one high school age Indian girl who was working at her
parents store what Triphala was and she said she didn't know much about
the stuff they sold there.  :)

I also had another pleasant surprise today as there is an Indian grocery
just a block up from where I take my car to be worked on.  Now it has
become an ayurvedic store (as well as Indian grocery).  Now I will be
able to pick up some ayurvedic supplies (herbs, etc) without going all
the way over to Berkeley.  They will even be offering panchakarma.