[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In a message dated 4/28/06 4:38:00 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>

>As it  should be: in this land of gas-guzzlers and SUV-drivers, it
>would be out  of place if Chevron DIDN'T see profits  soar.
>
>Good for them.
>
>Maybe they should be  rewarded, I see where Shell, who I think merged with
>Chevron, is going to  expand one of their refineries to be the biggest in the
>world.
>

>I hope they  build it near the shore so that when sea levels rise 20 feet due
>to global  warming it will be inundated.
>

>It is, in Port Arthur Texas. Have a horse and buggy? When that  one goes
>under so will most of the refineries. Can you grow your own food, weave  your own
>fabric, do without medicine?How far can you walk daily and how much can  you
>carry on that walk. Interstate commerce will cease and no trucks will fill
>your stores with goods you depend on. How do you heat your house?

Maybe you weren't born yet but in the late 1970's many of us in the
"counter culture" were into things like "Small is Beautiful" and
survivalism (the non-right wing variety) and know how to do a lot of the
things you mention there.  Living in earthquake country you are supposed
to be prepared for such things.   It's probably even good to have a
chemical toilet and cook stove you can use outdoors.  As for medicine
why do you think some of us studied ayurveda?   There are even guides
for herbs that grow in the west  that work similarly to Indian herbs.  I
go for a walk every day and during the 1970's jogged as far as 9 miles
daily.

And we could probably recycle a lot of plastic that isn't going to
disappear anytime soon.  An EMF bomb would also put everyone back to the
dark ages unless you've got a some solar generators and tech equipment
(laptop, etc) stashed in a Faraday cage.  Though it wouldn't surprise me
if the metal casings on a lot of gear would block EMF.

The American standard of living is bloated, consumes too much resources
and needs to "ground out."  This could have been done somewhat
painlessly but that's apparently not what the right wing has in mind.