I read this article when it originally came out and am much in agreement
with Bill Joy.   This last Christmas a relative gave me a copy of
Kurzweil's  "The Singularity is Near" that's premise I feel is very
flawed.   My relative mistakenly thought that I would see Kurzweil as a
great technologist but I see him as a "mad scientist" and very
unenlightened.   I had also read some  of Kaczynski's rants too and it
is too bad he chose the wrong actions to make his point.

Computers are a great tool but that's it: a tool.  I work with them all
the time and enjoy getting away from them.  Nothing is more painful that
getting stuck on a project trying to fix a difficult to find bug and
getting naive comments from suits who in their ignorance think I'm
either a wunderkind for creating such as program or a jerk if I can't
fix it.

Computers allowed small businesses to track their losses which is
somewhat good and somewhat bad.  Before every small store had computers
to track inventory then tended to have a more varied selection.  That
has long gone away.

It looks like big business and the "Illuminati" or whatever you want to
call those rakshasas don't like computers either and the freedom they
give us either.  They really don't like the freedom of speech on the
Internet.  They want to reign in the Internet severely.  I would suggest
we reign them in instead.

As for AI or "artificial consciousness" which I have actually worked on
a bit I mentioned to some of my colleagues that Indian philosophy has
much of the mechanics of consciousness broken out into paradigms that
could be implemented on a computer.  One colleague actually located a
Phd thesis by someone primitively demonstrated such theory.  I never
took the theories much farther to implement them myself but there is at
least one well known program that borrowed on some of this theory.

Vaj wrote:

> Why the future doesn't need us is an article by Bill Joy, Chief
> Scientist at Sun Microsystems. In this article, he argues (quoting
> the sub title) that "Our most powerful 21st-century technologies -
> robotics, genetic engineering, and nanotech - are threatening to make
> humans an endangered species." The article was published in the April
> 2000 issue of Wired Magazine. Joy warns:
>
> "The experiences of the atomic scientists clearly show the need to
> take personal responsibility, the danger that things will move too
> fast, and the way in which a process can take on a life of its own.
> We can, as they did, create insurmountable problems in almost no time
> flat. We must do more thinking up front if we are not to be similarly
> surprised and shocked by the consequences of our inventions."
> The essay has been compared by The Times to Albert Einstein's 1939
> letter to then US President Franklin D. Roosevelt, warning him of the
> possibility of the Nazis inventing the atomic bomb.
>
> http://www.primitivism.com/future.htm

<snip>