Bhairitu wrote:

>shempmcgurk wrote:
>
> >--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk" <shempmcgurk@>

> >actually.
> >many
> > >
> > > Test yourself (throughput you get vs. what you pay
> > > for) with: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
> > >
> > > To my great surprise, Wanadoo/France Telecom being
> > > the spawn of Satan and all, I pay for 8 Mbps and
> > > get 8 Mbps consistently.
> > >

> >Okay.  I did the test: 2940 kbps download speed and 495 kbps upload
> >speed.
> >
> >Doesn't seem so good, does it?
> >

>Divide by 8 to get the mbps which would be around 3-4 mbps which is
>pretty standard for cable in the US.  I only get 1.5 mbps on DSL but I
>will probably be going to some kind of business account a little later
>on with faster download and more important for my business faster
>uploads.  They tend to cap upload speeds.

Oops, I mean divide by 1000 for mbps which means 2.940  or still about 3
mbps.  What I gave was the conversion to bytes per second which probably
makes more sense to the consumer.  The marketing divas like to use bits
because it gives more impressive looking numbers.  Often you are more
interested in how fast that 200  MB file is going to download and bytes
are more convenient which is what most browsers and ftp programs give.
Here's a conversion program:
http://www.edoceo.com/utilis/bandwidth-calculator.php