> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "hugheshugo"
> <richardhughes103@> wrote:
> > wrote:
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "hugheshugo"

Kesey

> > > Remember that old saying, "If you can remember the
> > > Sixties you weren't there." I was there -- not on
> > > the bus (Further was its name) but at a few of the
> > > original Acid Tests -- and unfortunately the old
> > > saying is true...I can't tell you much about them. :-)
> >
> > You were actually there! Far out man! Birth of the grateful
> > dead and everything. Must've been a hell of a party.
>
> It was. I remember far more than I let on. I just
> didn't want anyone to think I remembered the Sixties
> and thus wasn't there. :-)
>
> > Did you ever read "The electric kool-aid acid test" by Tom
> > Wolfe? it should brings it back to life for you, a great
> > book. He was on the bus and he managed to take notes!
>
> Wanna hear a great Tom Wolfe story? :-)
>
> I wasn't there for this one personally, but I know
> a couple of people who were and they vouch for its
> accuracy. Well, Tom decided he wanted to write a
> book on all these crazy hippies, so he managed to
> meet Kesey and get invited to the farm in Springfield,
> and then on the bus and to some of the other wacky
> places they went. But the whole time Tom is doing
> his New York number, which means that every day, in
> the midst of these stoned hippies, wearing everything
> from tie-dye to naked, he's walking around in his
> white suit, the one he's famous for.
>
> This goes on for some time, with Tom recording all
> the stuff he sees around him but not really being
> part of it. Finally, the guys on the farm had to
> move this enormous, wood-burning, pot-bellied stove
> from the barn into one of the houses. It was heavy.
> So heavy that the guys who lived there on the farm
> couldn't lift it, so they called to Tom for help.
> He pitched in, and between them they got the cast-
> iron stove to its new location.
>
> Then Tom looks down at his white New York suit and
> it's *covered* with black soot. Covered. He's stand-
> ing there, shocked, and Kesey notices and says,
> "Well...y'know Tom...you can't mess with it without
> gettin' some of it on ya."
>
> Everyone cracks up, including Tom Wolfe. He fit in
> better after that.
>
> > We had a similar scene in England
> > in the 80's with some really heavy psychedelic bands, magic
> > mushrooms and free festivals every weekend, much fun.
>
> Indeed. T'was a magical time...

I wasn't there, so I wouldn't know.

But I tend to believe what Robert Crumb says about the Sixties and
it is something to the effect: the only good appeal of the Sixties
was all the free love they were promising but when I showed up I
didn't get any anyway.

He hated the Sixties and he hated Rock and Roll.

For all the talk of free love and the counterculure and the breaking
down of barriers and all that, I found that Hippies were more into
their appearances and cliques than any staid conservative-looking
guy like Tom Wolfe.  The counterculture was supposed to be about
what's in your heart and not materialistic things but it was the
Hippies who were very, very tribal when it came to what you looked
like...and if you didn't look like them, they would shun you.

Indeed, your anecdote above, Barry, speaks to that.  Just because
Wolfe wore a white suit and tie, he wasn't fully accepted; he had to
get it dirty before he was.

As well, I think the drug culture of the Sixties created alot of
misery and, basically, just a bunch of fucked-up dope addicts.