> There has been a huge buzz in the blogosphere and in some
mainstream
> media in the past few days over a report that the Iranian
parliament
> has just passed a Nazi Germany-like law requiring non-Muslims to
wear
> badges identifying their religions.
>
> Turns out the report, from a right-wing Canadian publication, was
> made up out of whole cloth, apparently a bit of disinformation
> planted to stir up fear of Iran.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/gxa84
>
> Blogs are now in the process of spreading the word that the story
is
> a hoax.  Will the media who reported the bogus tale do the same?
> Don't hold your breath.

I am finding this story fascinating.

What I would like to know is: did ANYTHING prompt the story at all?
Could it have been that a bill was being debated in the Iranian
parliament about dress code and, from there, it went to a
fictional "wearing of badges" for Christians and Jews?

Of course, if the story was about, say, Ireland then it would have
been considered a hoax right away.  But because it was Iran even a
false story was considered believable.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

> In the current climate, we need to be skeptical.  Remember the
> stories about Iraqi soldiers ripping babies from incubators?  Same
> deal: black psy-ops.
>
> A well-reasoned op-ed column in the Newark Star-Ledger by two
Middle