on 5/21/06 1:04 PM, authfriend at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> Yes there is. There's a mindset, explicitly cultivated by MMY, that
>> helping people on a relative level is inferior to developing
>> individual and collective consciousness, so as to get to the root
>> of all problems.
>
> That should only stop you from failing to give your own
> development priority.  It shouldn't stop you from *also*
> engaging in charitable activities.

Shouldn't but does. Granted, there have been many projects in 3rd world
countries where large groups have been taught for free. But there's an
explicit doctrine in the TMO that "our role is to teach people to transcend,
and that's the highest dharma. It's others' job to feed, cloth, house, them,
etc." From that perspective, your money gets the most leverage if is donated
to the TMO, and not to charitable organizations. Now if the TMO were to use
all that money to do what it says it should be doing, there wouldn't be a
problem. But because Maharishi has explicitly encouraged the attitude among
his elite that they are superior, higher ups in the movement become haughty
and egotistical, not more humble as you'll find in some spiritual
organizations. When he sent the 108's on field projects, he told them not to
fraternize with the local teachers, but to remain aloof and superior.
Sometimes movement hotshots would come into town for a project and demand to
be put in the best hotel it town, rather than the decent one reserved for
them. This culturing of egotism is probably accountable for the squandering
of millions of dollars, most notably among the Shrivastavas running the
Indian movement.