on 5/21/06 7:09 PM, sparaig at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Perhaps its because MMY's tradition apparently doesn't hold with doing
> charitable works
> the way Christianity does, so anyone trying to emulate MMY's behavior in this
> regard
> rather than following his advice of practicing their own religion, would be
> "off the
> program."

Not true. Many past and contemporary Hindu gurus emphasize selfless service
to the less fortunate as a technique to culture the heart and diminish the
ego.

>, but
> you can
> ignore that 1500+ years of history if you wish and portray the Roman and other
> organzied
> Christian churches as 100% good guys in the "good works" category while
> portraying the
> TMO as being bad.

One could, but I wasn't doing anything of the sort.

> BTW, until the schizm concerning the name of Anklesaria's organization (which
> apparently
> is 100% due to his OWN hostility since he could easily find a sponsor to pay
> for his
> recertification, and other sponsors to pay the $2500 fee for TM instruction
> for inmates),
> Anklesaria's work with prisons, sanctions directlly (according to him) by MMY
> himself,
> coud qualify as a "good works" kind of thing.

I don't think you have his story straight.

> The stated goal of raising lots of money to purchase land for organic farms to
> provide the
> poor in 3rd World countries with income could also be seen as a "good works"
> project,
> even if it is unrealistic to expect that $10 trillion could be raised to
> provide work for EVERY
> poor person in the world.

And to assume that there is much fertile land not already being cultivated.