> That's the normal way it works, anyway.  If the
> book is being self-published, the schedule could
> be shorter depending on how much of the work the
> author is doing him/herself.  Possibly this is being
> self-published in digital format for download, in
> which case there's no need for printing, obviously.

I am working with an on demand self-publishing system at lulu.com. You upload the final
layout in Word along with JPGs for the cover. A trade paperback can be ordered within
minutes. I am currently going over the proofread version. As soon as I am done and
upload it, the paperback or PDF will be available. On demand printing is more expensive
but requires less upfront expense. If a book starts to sell well one can alway change to
traditional printing. Isn't technology amazing?