> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, WLeed3@ wrote:
> > >
> > > reduces the price making it available 4 more of us to buy &
more of
> > it as
> > > well  that  whole milk & @ Wal-mart great news for many of us.
now
> > if Wal- mart
> > > could  sell Maharishi Ayer Vedic products as well.
> > >

> > The problem there is that Wal-Mart actively negotiates their
costs
> > with suppliers DOWN every year.  As I understand it, Wal-Mart
attempts
> > to get their suppliers to bring their prices on supplies to them
down
> > by about 5% every year, which they then pass on to consumers.
Many
> > economists have said that Wal-Mart's policy in this area is
almost
> > singularly responsible for the very low inflation rate in the
USA over
> > the past 15 years.
> >
> > Negotiating with the TMO over prices?  Can you imagine being a
fly on
> > the wall over those negotiations?
> >

> > Wal-Mart: "TMO, now that we're carrying your MAPI products in
all of
> > our stores throughout the world, your products are accessible to
over
> > 2 billion people.  We'd like you to see what you can do to bring
down
> > the costs of your supplies...economies of scale and all that."
> >
> > TMO: "Sorry, Wal-Mart, we have a strict 1,500% mark-up on our
MAPI
> > products.  For example, on our 8 oz. Vata Churna product, it
costs us
> > about 34 cents for the spices we put into it.  Add on another 20
cents
> > per unit for packaging, labor and overhead and you're talking a
> > whopping 54 cents cost to us for each one.  Now we sell each
unit for
> > $15.95.  We're selling each unit to Wal-Mar for $10.00...tell us
how
> > we're supposed to make money if we bring our cost to you down!"
> >

> Of course, MAPI products are all supposedly made in the
> traditional way,

What's "the traditional way"?  Mixing the spices clockwise instead
of counter-clockwise?

Or perhaps its how I saw TrigunaJi's teenage apprentice mix the
concoctions that I bought at his outdoor "clinic" in Dehli: lay down
a bunch of squares cut from the Times of India newspaper, take jars
of dirt (or whatever it is he put in his mixtures) and spill them
out over the newspaper squares,  and then fold up the pieces of
newspaper into little packets (which I was then told to take with a
glass of water each day).

> which probably
> doesn't mean much, cost-wise, since they come from India, but it
DOES mean that there is