In a message dated 5/22/06 5:10:10 P.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
It was the Fairfield High School kids who first started the
word "ru." I recall while I was in living in Missouri, the kids
would refer to people of the female persuasion as "gina," which is
not pronounced like the Italian actress' name (Ms. Lollobrigida), so
the epithet for TMers was probably more reflective of youthful
playfulness than hostility, although kids certainly are not shy
about showing lack of respect.

To counter the ru thing, some Fairfield TMers started referring to
locals as "rubs," since the Fairfield High School team name was
the "Trojans" (the name for a prophylactic brand for you non-
Americans), but it never really caught on.
Somebody told me years ago that "ru's" was interchangeable with "Taters", short for meditater. Sounds a bit more "country".