Rick,

Thanks for taking the time to read what I wrote and for your reply.
Revisiting these concepts in the light of people's experience in this
group is valuable to me.  I remember the TM party line about those
words. Now I am interested in how people like yourself think about it
with a broader perspective.

"I think there is a spiritual implication to this, because the clarity
of awareness does fluctuate."

This is what I am having trouble wrapping my mind around.  Can you
articulate how our awareness fluctuates?  I can't locate a reference
experience for myself these days.  I know how I used to describe it to
someone new to meditation as: "sometimes you feel sleepy and your
awareness is foggy and that effects your knowledge".  I am looking for
a more developed view of the concept of awareness enhancement.

I think I understand your point about understanding as more stable
than experience.  I can usually remember a perspective even when I am
tired.  I may not be as generative of the perspective when I am tired,
but I can usually access what I understood in that state when I felt
more awake.  But once I am rested I don't see much difference in my
awareness day to day.