> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
> <shempmcgurk@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <jflanegi@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"

> wa.
> > > How

> > Batts -
> > > -
> > promoters

> millions
> > of
> > boys
> atrocities
> > > here).
> > > >
> > > Dead is dead, whether by Saddam and the Ayatollah or Bush.
Dead
> is
> > > dead is dead. Does it really matter who pulls the trigger?
> > >
> > > This Holier Than Thou attitude of those here in the US (or
> Canada)
> > > who would wage war to 'defend freedom' is such BS. To kill
> others
> > in
> > > the name of lofty ideals does nothing except destroy those
> ideals,
> > > and cause incalculable suffering.
> > >
> > > Talk about a high horse. Anyone who thinks war is noble,
> justified
> > > or necessary in this day and age is sadly mistaken, imo.
> > >

> > Never?  Not, as you say above, "necessary" ever?
>
> We can come up with hypotheticals, such as a direct attack by
Canada
> or Mexico, for example,

9/11 isn't a hypothetical.

It actually happened.  Unless, of course, you are a conspiracty
theorist and believe it didn't happen at all...

where a military response would be
> necessary, but I can't personally justify any military action
taken
> by the US since WWII.

So, the invasion of Afghanistan according to you wasn't justified.

> > So you are against having a military at all?
>
> Practically speaking, some kind of deterrent force is necessary.
> make it a centerpiece of our foreign policy is not ultimately or
> useful, though. We have a massively strong economy, with all kinds
> of possible leverage points available there. Look at China, they
> manage to bend us to their will without resorting to any military
> force,

I think the Taiwanese would disagree with you.

Also some students at a certain square in Beijing.

purely as a result of wisely using economic leverage. Why