> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new_morning_blank_slate
<no_reply@> wrote:

> [...]
> > > I believe that all the existing connections are used constantly,
> >
> > Wow. way different than my sense of things. It would be useful and
> > instructive to find what the research actually say.
> >

> Perhaps it would be better to say that there is a low-level random
noise of firing from all
> neurons that gets sent to all connecting neurons. There's a
threshhold of noise below which
> the receiving neuron doesn't respond, however.

"The human brain has a huge number of synapses. Each of 100 billion
neurons has on average 7,000 synaptic connections to other neurons.
Most authorities estimate that the brain of a three-year-old child has
about 1,000 trillion synapses. This number declines with age,
stabilizing by adulthood. Estimates vary for an adult, ranging from
100 to 500 trillion synapses. "

OK. But thats 1,000 trillion synapses bathing in low-level random
noise of firing. Seems kind of wasteful.

I am still looking, but I thought I have read that

1) these quadrillion synapes are an average, and some, via genetics
and exercising the brain, can have many more.

2) Most people only use and exercise a small portion of the
quadrillion synapses.

And though Peter finds that there is NO  synaptic or other physiologic
basis for "spiritual" states, as self-evident, I find it self-evident
that there is a synamptic basis for such, much releated to avalable
types of neurotransmittors, and that is why  patanjali and MMY said
transcendant states could be acheived with drugs.

In fact if you bath synapes 3,564,678,654,556,486 to 3,784,567,232,734
with alternating dopamine and seretonin neural transmittor baths,
while hitting  synapes 5,554,638,467,342,584 to 6,123,265,362,274 with
somatostatin, while flooding 9,785,767,275,926,756 with
Norepinephrine,  you will GET IT!! It will be SELF-EVIDENT!!!

For short we call that the
3,564,678,654,556,486-3,784,567,232,734/5,554,638,467,342,584-6,123,265,362,274
/9,785,767,275,926,756  cocktail.

(But don't drive or operated heavy machinery until you become
accustomed to this state.)