"Her point is that it isn't *science* that provided you
with this meaning; science can't tell you whether it's
all just random or if there's something at work behind
it."

Good point.  I have to think about this more.   I use evolutionary
theory as a sort of big picture reframe for my life, but I guess that
is not the science that is providing the perspective.  It is my use of
the ideas in a psychological way.