> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
> > <shempmcgurk@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Saw the Da Vinci Code last night and actually enjoyed it.
> > > Wasn't going to see it so soon (I was waiting for the
> > > crowds to go down buy X-Men took care of that).
> > >
> > > What's the rumpus?  I don't know why there were so many
> > > negative reports about the movie, which I try to avoid
> > > anyway, it was really very good.
> >
> > I thought that the main problem with the film was
> > that it did too good a job of giving all the
> > characters the same depth and three-dimensionality
> > they had in the book. That is, none. :-)
> >
> > At least they didn't try to replicate the full
> > effect of Dan Brown's writing style. That would
> > have required the use of fingernails on a black-
> > board in the sountrack music.
>
> Ironically, fatally flawed as it was, I found Angels
> and Demons to be far superior in every respect.

It still had the 'fingernail' thang and lifeless
characters going for it, and a bunch of 'facts'
about CERN and the Vatican Library that weren't.
One of the reasons it may have seemed tighter was
that it was on a shorter timeline; most of the
action takes place in 24 hours, with a countdown
clock running. That kind of compressed time scale
covers a great deal of bad writing.  :-)

A&D was even worse, in my opinion, at Brown
"telegraphing his punches." If he mentions a fact
that seems out of place (and is), you can pretty
much count on him using it later as a mechanism
for his hero to escape certain death. That's my
main problem with him -- he not only writes down
to the level of the audience, he writes *below*
their level, in my opinion, intentionally. My
theory is that he *wants* everyone to see the
next plot twist coming fifty pages before you
get to it, because that makes them feel smart.