> > > Where does he pay his taxes?
> >
> > Of what country is he a citizen?
>

> US.  But he pays his taxes in France.
>
> I'm a Canadian citzen who pays his taxes not in Canada but the US.

Not so relevant an example.

> So, Billie, I am absolved of all U.S. "responsibilities"?

The US is fairly unique in that it imposes universal taxation on its
citizens regardless of where they reside. A US citizen living in
France, or Timbucktu, still is liable for US taxes. There are two
"loopholes". First if they pay taxes in their resident country, these
can often be used to ofset any US tax liabilities. Second, if you stay
outside of the US for most of any given tax year (its somthing like 48
weeks) then you have your first 80,000 sheltered from US taxes (but
not local taxes).

Most countries are like what Shemp describes, different than the US.
Citizens of most countries residing in another, do not need to pay
taxes of their citizen country.