--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- authfriend wrote:
> >
> > the TMO concepts of enlightened leadership, on the
> > one hand, and leadership that reflects the
> > consciousness of the people, on the other hand,
> > don't seem to mesh very well.  In other words,
> > they can't both be true.
>
> I feel a little foolish to admit I'd never noticed this
> conflict before.

Boy, me too!  And now that MDixon has pointed it
out, I'm astonished that apparently nobody else
has ever noticed it, at least not that I've seen.
Goodness knows there have been any number of
discussions about both aspects of TM theory.

It's funny! Maybe, in the TMO worldview,
> enlightened people are liberated from ties to
> collective consciousness, just as they're liberated
> in the sense of no longer having their consciousness
> bound in ignorance of its true nature.

I can hear that one creaking painfully all the way
from the Jersey shore...

> Still, that doesn't help with governance, because one
> cannot simply order people to do what they're not
> really committed to doing. (Stalin had ways to make
> it work, and Maharishi seems to have some success,
> but they're special cases.) So an enlightened leader
> might say, "Let's forgive the terrorists," but the people
> would say, "Screw that, I want blood." And the enlightened
> leader would have a problem.

Here's my contribution to creaky rationalizations:
Presumably the enlightened leader would know better
than to propose something his/her ignorant people
would resist doing (unless their resistance would
accomplish something else s/he wanted done).

> I had a conversation about this topic of orders versus
> persuasion with an Army major in my acquaintance.
> I said, "It seems to me that in the Army, of all places,
> you could just say, 'Do this,' and it would get done."
>
> He said, "Well, you could, but officers who work that
> way don't advance very far." He said subordinates will
> only do the minimum required to comply with the order,
> which isn't enough for real success in any endeavor
> short of maybe digging a latrine.

At least in the Army, officers advance based on how
well their subordinates succeed.  That isn't always
the case in other types of institutions.