<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Blogging the Bible
> What happens when an ignoramus reads the Good Book?
>
> This guy is great!  Judy, in particular, should not miss this.  He
> takes the Old Testament and looks at it from a modern, but
> sympathetic, perspective.  Someone should do this with the Vedic
> literature.

Actually I read the first couple of installments and
thoroughly enjoyed them, a nice fresh look unencumbered
by any scholarship.  I hope once he's done he'll read
some good commentaries as well to expand his understanding
a bit, though.

I've been working my way slowly through Robert Alter's
Tanach (first five books of the Hebrew Scriptures)
translation and commentary, which is incredibly
detailed, more commentary than Scripture.  He has some
wonderful insights into the stories and has a knack
for finding nuggets of biblical humor that were
clearly *intended* to be funny in the original, but
that most translations and serious-minded interpretations
obscure.