I checked out Alter's book on Amazon, it looks really interesting.
There is so much in scriptures from any perspective, spiritual or not.
I have only done a superficial job of taking the time to read
scripture commentaries and usually focused on the New Testament.  That
book looks like a great way to learn more context.

"He has some
> wonderful insights into the stories and has a knack
> for finding nuggets of biblical humor that were
> clearly *intended* to be funny in the original, but
> that most translations and serious-minded interpretations
> obscure.

Nice find. The same is true of many old blues lyrics which sound
horrible today, but used to make people laugh in the barrelhouses.