---On the Gnostic Gospels.. Right, Pagels has the "truth" correct, in
terms of Gnostism,(IMO); but it's debatable whether Jesus Himself
taught any form of Gnosticism.  Various experts, Pagels included, are
well aware that various "Scriptures" that have come down to us may
have been written by ghost writers using a recognized name of another
person.  This may even be true of some of Paul's letters.  Thus, it's
not surprising that due to the passage of time since the death of
Jesus, say 60-100 years, and the different location (most of the
Gnostic Gospels have a Coptic Egyptian origin); somebody just suited
their fancy by dreaming up various Scriptures, placing words in the
mouth of Jesus.  The question of whether Jesus actually did preach a
form of Gnosticism, secretly or otherwise, is open to debate.
  Personally, it makes little difference to me in terms of personal
practice, since I'm fully in the "Gnostic" camp, (being a Buddhist);
which is closer to Gnostism by far than to the orthodox Christianity
preached by Paul.