In a message dated 6/4/06 7:50:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
---On the Gnostic Gospels.. Right, Pagels has the "truth" correct, in
terms of Gnostism,(IMO); but it's debatable whether Jesus Himself
taught any form of Gnosticism.  Various experts, Pagels included, are
well aware that various "Scriptures" that have come down to us may
have been written by ghost writers using a recognized name of another
person.  This may even be true of some of Paul's letters.  Thus, it's
not surprising that due to the passage of time since the death of
Jesus, say 60-100 years, and the different location (most of the
Gnostic Gospels have a Coptic Egyptian origin); somebody just suited
their fancy by dreaming up various Scriptures, placing words in the
mouth of Jesus.  The question of whether Jesus actually did preach a
form of Gnosticism, secretly or otherwise, is open to debate.
  Personally, it makes little difference to me in terms of personal
practice, since I'm fully in the "Gnostic" camp, (being a Buddhist);
which is closer to Gnostism by far than to the orthodox Christianity
preached by Paul.
A lot of the programming I've been seeing lately concerning the Gnostic Gospels claims that most, if not all, were written between 100 and 200 A.D. And as you have said, by writers that claim to have been the Apostles, long after they would have been dead. How did Judas write a Gospel when it is said he committed suicide after Jesus was arrested and condemned? The gospels of Mathew , Mark, Luke and John are historically  believed to have been written between 30 and 64 A.D., during their life times.