Yet another new book on the religious right is available:

Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism. written by Mchelle
Goldberg

This probably touches on subjects that we have broached before.
However, I came across an interview with the author linked from the
Working for Change website that gave me pause...

You can read the entire thing at:

http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?itemid=20902

Congress was going to have the first-ever Hindu priest give an
invocation. The Family Research Council issued a really angry
statement, which says: "While it is true that the United States of
America was founded on the sacred principle of religious freedom for
all, that liberty was never intended to exalt other religions to the
level that Christianity holds in our nation’s heritage. Our founders
expected that Christianity and no other religion would receive
support from the government, as long as that support did not violate
people's consciences and their right to worship. They would have
found utterly incredible the idea that all religions, including
paganism, be treated with equal deference." That’s from the Family
Research Council, which is a spin-off of Focus on the Family.

The Virginia religious liberty statute was written by Jefferson and
is widely seen as the basis for the First Amendment. As Jefferson
wrote in his autobiography, some had wanted to put an amendment into
that statute saying that Jesus Christ was a source of religious
liberty. Jefferson said, "It was rejected by the great majority in
proof that they meant to comprehend within the mantle of its
protection the Jew and the gentile, the Christian and the Mohammedan,
the Hindu and infidel of every denomination."

So where do they get this from? Part of what I seek to do in my book
is show that this is not just a political movement, but an entire
parallel reality. It has its own revisionist history, including its
own revisionist American history. There are volumes upon volumes that
essentially rewrite the history of America, cherry picking various
quotes and taking things out of context to try to show that the
founders intended to create an Evangelical Christian America, and
that separation of church and state is something that they never
intended, and indeed would have been appalled by.

It's an interesting, but scary, interview.

------
"Though I am a committed Christian, I believe that everyone has the
right to their own religion, be you Hindu, Jewish or Muslim. I
believe there are infinite paths to accepting Jesus Christ as your
personal savior." --Stephen Colbert, from remarks at the White House
Correspondents’ Dinner.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/UlWolB/TM