Patrick Gillam wrote:

>A short life for copyrights and patents doesn't
>seem fair to me. If I build a house, I own it for
>life, and can pass it on to my heirs. But if I build
>a novel, song or widget, the public gets to use
>it for free after a while.
>
>I understand the argument for passing knowledge
>into the public domain, but still...
>
>We have a lot of knowledge workers here. How
>do you guys feel about it?

I'm also a copyright holder and have been involved in software patents
(drug kicking and screaming by the company I worked for).  One of the
things I learned from TM was that we probably don't actually create
things but instead implement ideas that arise from the transcendent.  I
think that about 1000 people have the same idea at same time, 100 act on
it, 10 actually finish and 1 gets to sell it. There was nothing wrong
with the law the way it was.

Remember that the ridiculous DMCA came about because Mickey Mouse was
getting long in tooth and about to go out of copyright.  Therefore it is
a very Mickey Mouse law.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/UlWolB/TM