> wrote:
Time,

Australian
English.
English

> > > And, like so many glib lines, completely untrue:
> > >
> > > Country           WWII deaths/100 population
> > > -------           --------------------------
> > > France            13.5
> > >
> > > Canada            4.0
> > > Australia 5.8
> > > United Kingdom    9.4
> > > United States     3.2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_casualties_by_count
ry

> > > Basically, the real truth in the situation is that a bunch
> > > of old farts are standing around drinking, taking credit
> > > for what other people did. There's hardly ever been an
> > > admiral in human history who got his *own* hands dirty
> > > in time of war.
> > >
> > > Plus, it's the same situation we see today. Look at the
> > > chart and see the *real* statistics for who paid with
> > > their lives for World War II and who just claims to have.
> > > As usual, the Americans stand around taking all the credit
> > > for what other people did...
> >
> > I don't understand: are you suggesting that the number of
military
> > deaths is correlated with how well or how hard a particular
> > country's army fought or contributed?
> >
> > Certain army strategists -- such as General MacArthur -- devised
> > their battle plans to MINIMIZE the number of troop deaths.  For
> > example, he drove the Japanese army crazy by SKIPPING Islands in
the
> > South Pacific to invade because -- thinking outside the box as
he
> > did -- he realized they weren't necessary to take out to
win...thus
> > saving both American and Japanese lives.
> >
> > Or how about the atomic bombs that ended the war in the
Pacific.
> > Certainly several hundred thousand CIVILIANS were killed but, if
> > many historians are correct in their estimations, had the bombs
NOT
> > been dropped it would have cost many hundreds of thousands of
> > American lives to go on to the island of Japan to wage war.
> >
> > As for the incredibly high casualties amongst the Soviet Union:
> > well, Stalin, the fucker, held so little regard for human lives -
-
> > his own people as well as his enemies -- that he basically
fought a
> > war of attrition; that is, throw as many of his troops against
the
> > Germans in as haphazard a way as possible (Stalin was NOT a
military
> > man, was horrible at it and often overruled his own generals)
that
> > it is fair to say that HE himself was responsible for many of
his
> > troops death (and, of course, don't get me started on how many
of
> > his own people he killed during peacetime...and I mention that
just
> > to demonstrate how little regard he had for human life).
> >
> > But your point is well taken: thanks to Hollywood and the chest-
> > thumping of Americans, people often get the impression that they
won
> > the war all by themselves.  As a Canadian I would remind people
that
> > Canada didn't wait until December of 1941 to go to war but did
in
> > 1939 (my Dad was drafted in '40 and left Julliard School to go
> > war; my Mother served in the women's Canadian army...my parents
met
> > and married in the army in '45).  The invasion of Dieppe -- in
which
> > thousands of Canadians died -- was the "trial run" for D-Day and
> > was, I believe, the single most highest casualty day for
Canadians
> > in history.
>
> Shemp, I have no desire to get into a nitpickfest over
> who done what in World War II.

Uh, actually this Canadian was agreeing with you.  But trying to cut
through your silly generalities and, of course, misreading of
statistics which is about as jingoistic as the Americans you were
complaining about.

> I just get tired of
> Americans claiming that other people did the French's
> job for them. In the first two months of the war,
> France lost more soldiers than America did in the
> *entire* war. The French were hopelessly outmanned and
> outgunned by the Germans; their decision to surrender,
> although lamentable in some ways, was a matter of
> survival at that point.
>
> It's real easy for Americans to sit on their fat asses
> and criticize those countries who have actually had
> wars fought on their own territory. With the exception
> of their own Civil War, Americans have never had that
> experience.

I think about 500,000 Manhattanites and Brooklynites would disagree
with you.

You may think that just because the hated George Bush calls the War
on Terrorism a "war", it was nevertheless a war that was on the very
territory of New York.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/UlWolB/TM