> In a message dated 6/13/06 11:23:53 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> Where do  you find stats on the number of illegal immigrants in our jails and
>  prisons?
>

> MSNBC

Hmmm... The latest gao stats I could find said 27% not 33%, but this was from
last year's
report in may, so MSNBC may have seen this year's report, which apparently
hasn't made it
to the GAO website:

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d05337r.pdf

An interesting bit of trivia: 5 jails in the USA apparently account for 30% of
all the illegal
immigrant inmates in jail, and 5 states account for 80% of all the illegal
immigrants in
prison.

The LA, CA; NYC, NY, Orange  County, CA; Harris County, TX; Maricopa County, AZ
jails
had 30% of all illegal immigrant inmates (IIIs). The states with 80% of IIIs in
jail or prison
were: CA, TX, NY, FL, AZ.

This shows that the criminal element of illegal immigrants is concentrated in
the border
states. I would imagine that the border states are where the majority of
illegal aliens live
and work as well, so this shouldn't be too unexpected.

One thing that pops up in looking at the arrest records of the IIIs is that 99%
of the IIIs in
Federal prison have a prior arrest record and 96% of the IIIs in state and
local prisons/jails
have a prior arrest record.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d05646r.pdf

I don't know how this compares to the rest of the inmates, but it sounds rather
high.

Another interesting statistic: 45% of all criminal arrests for IIIs were for
drug related or
immigration related offenses. 90% of all convictions were for drug or
immigration related
offenses.

Still another interesting stat: more than 71% of federal inmates were arrested
and 87% of
state/local inmates were arrested in CA, TX or AZ.

As I said, all these stats are from last year's report, based on the year
before's stats. This
year's report isn't online that I saw, but probably has roughly the same kind
of stats.

It seems plausible, even likely, that most illegals in the USA are being
arrested for drug
and immigrant smuggling, and that when you exclude the smugglers, most IIIs are
law-
abiding citizens (except for how they entered the country in the first place).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/UlWolB/TM