> On Jun 20, 2006, at 12:57 PM, new_morning_blank_slate wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Stanley"
> > <j_alexander_stanley@> wrote:
> >

> >> In discussing this with Tom Traynor, he wrapped it up
> >> perfectly:
> >>
> >> Things happen exactly as they should. Why? Because that's the way
> >> they
> >> happened.
> >>

> > Though "meaningful" perhaps via some other understandings or
> > knowledge, by itself, the quote is hard to distinguish from a
> > tautology.
> >
> > ----
> >
> > Tautology has at least three distinct meanings:
> >
> >     * Tautology (logic), a statement true by virtue of its logical
> > form.
> >     * Tautology (rhetoric), undesirable use of redundant language that
> > adds no information.
> >     * Truism, an assertion that is so obvious as to add nothing to a
> > discussion.
>

> Unfortunately your last post was not meant to happen. Sorry.
>
> ;-)

While I find your comment funny, it brings up a deeper point in the
free will discssion. "Meant to happen", "meant to be" implies or are
at least parallel to assumptions revolving around:

A) a Grand or Divine Plan

B) a singular determined, fixed, static end-state for the universe --
that is, the last frame of the film has already been writtne, casted
and filmed.

C) a quite anthropormorphic view of God or Nature as an intesely
micro-managing bureaucrat, manageing against a firm, irrevocable,
unchangeable '10 Billion Year Plan'

D) a singualar correct action in any circumstance.

In contrast, MMY has described, echoing many others, the nature of
life, the nature of the universe, the characteristics of Nature, the
hard-wired rules of the universe, are:

1) to change towards more complex states ("evolve")

2) to seek greater happiness

A-D are not at all necessary for 1-2.

1-2 imply everything is self-optimizing to seek greater happiness as
it defines it, and as it understands how to get there. Seeking
happiness is a self-correcting (adaptive and learning) heuristic of
everything in life -- from bugs to humans to whatever.

Consequently:

     To say some specific thing "should or was supposed to happen" in
this context is ludicrious. Things happen, as everything tests the
limits and boundaries of their existence to gain greater happiness.
And everything learns in the process.

    To say some specific thing was "against the laws of nature" in
this context is ludicrious. Things happen, as everything  tests the
limits and boundaries of their existence to gain greater happiness.
There are limits on understanding i) what yields greater happiness in
the short vs long run, and ii) how to achieve such. But these are
limitations, progressively overcome with adaptive learning at every step.

     To say some specific thing "should have happened because it
happened" or more boldly "something is perfect because 'it happened'"
is a bit of a tautology, but consistent with the breader view that
'everything is good' because things happen, as everything tests the
limits and boundaries of their existence to gain greater happiness.
Any limitations are progressively overcome with adaptive learning at
every step.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Hik1AB/bOaOAA/i1hLAA/UlWolB/TM