> new.morning wrote:
>
> >--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:
> >

> >>I'm sure some do a fine job, the  others....

> >Not if Nordstroms did it. Or the Four Seasons. Apple would probably do
> >a good job. We might give Trader Joe's a shot. Perhaps Amazon.
> >
> >Have you never recieved good service from a private company?
> >
> Do you think any you've mentioned would be the low bidder?

Yes. I think that they are nimble enough to bid to any given standard
and payment structure. But your question clarifies your original
concern. Its not about privatization at all. Its about cost.

I agree with that -- that cost is an issue -- to a degree. Better
service generally costs more than poor service (exceptions always.)

But perpaps the larger problem is not privatization (clearly its not),
and not so much cost -- the US is spending tons on airport security.
Perhaps more the problem is inept and corrupt system of government
contracting. Made worse by a corrupt and inept congress that writes
poor, special-interest, pork laiden legislation. And a poor executive
 branch that favors politics and favoriitism in its administraton of
governement programs.

If (the above is) so, then governement programs appear exactly the
worst thing to favor. However, privatization in such a corrupt and
inept political structure would be far from perfect -- though in many
cases better than government programs.

Whats needed is strong structural political and voting reform:

1) IRV -- Instant run-off voting -- allowing for the fluorishing of
multiple parties -- without making voters throw away their vote for
voting (first rounds) for a REAL candidate that reflects their views.

2) Full publically funded presidental, congressional and governor
campaigns. (Which is MUCH cheaper than the current systems' corruption
and waste of focus on fundraising)

3) No jerrymandering of house districts. (It can be done.)

4) 4-6 year terms for the House

5) stronger constraints on revolving door lobbying by former govt
executives and congress persons

6) Recountable, tracable, verifiable modern polling techniques (e.g.,
paper ballot, optical scan).

7) National standards for all congressional elections. Including
multi-partisian election management -- not political hacks (al la K.
Harris)

8) AND --- perhaps, the same standards for voting as for citizenship.
Like getting a drivers licence -- one needs to show some degree of
competence before getting behind the wheel of a voting booth. With
strong montioring to prevent discrimination against various sectors
and classes.

9) And linked to #8, a $50-100 tax credit when you vote. (Instead of
making it mandatory, like most modern countries do.)

10) Mandatory and fully disclosed comparable IQ and pyschological
tests for all congressional and presidential candidates. Nothing more
than what we expect of fighter pilots. (If you are going to imitate
on, at least have the Right Stuff.)

11) Real debates. Like West Wing election debates.

Other possibilities --

Fred travis type eeg tests on all candidates.

Debates where all candidates must take a truth serum prior to the
debate. Second debate, give them all acid. Third debate, ecstacy. See
the inner candidate. :)