Harris and Arlene just spent $16 million an indulgence and, of
course, expect quid pro quo for the money: the favor of the Guru.
And it's already paid off: Arlene got a title (Woman or Mother of
the Movement or some such thing) and they both get to stick around
MMY real close...at least for the time being.  No one is going to
throw them out of Vladivostock or whatever that place in Holland
where the cult is emcamped is called.

But the problem I foresee is this: MMY is about 50% senile at this
point and, quite frankly, his short-term memory isn't what it used
to be.  This fact coupled with the realpolitik of Guru-disciple life
(i.e. the whim of the Guru must be obeyed by the peons around him
without question) means that one day MMY is going to be sitting on
his throne and a secretary will come up and say: the Kaplans request
an audience with you, Maharishi.  Like millions of other old men
around the world, Maharishi will slumber out of nap time in more of
a fog than reality, say "huh?", ask the secretary to repeat the name
and, upon hearing "Kaplan" think that Earl and David have come back
to Holland to haunt him.

Maharishi will immediately decree: "Send them away!  Tell them I
never want to see them again!"  And the secretary, shaking like that
guy who ushered Dorothy and the gang in to see the Wizard, will
summon up all the wee courage he has and say: "But, Maharishi, these
are two very loyal meditators...and they just gave $16 million to
the Movement".

At this point Maharishi will be VERY confused, thinking that Earl
and David are back in the fold or something and are trying to buy
their way back into his good graces.  Having to go to the bathroom --
 again, like millions of other old fogies his age around the world
(strategizing bathroom breaks and regularity takes up about 80% of
this demographic group's time and attention) -- he'll say: "Tell
them Jai Guru Dev and that it is my desire that they go teach in
Russia for 5 years!"

And that will be the last we'll hear of Harris and Arlene for a
very, very long time.