--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> In internet speak, what exactly is an "Avatar"
> I know what it is spiritually speaking, but what has the word been
> usurped for in silly internetland...some kind of personal logo?
> Anyone/geek know?

The most common use is in MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing
Games),
where your avatar is the little dwarf/gnome/orc/troll/human/etc that you
control in order to
interact with other players' avatars or the computer-generated world and
characters.

Some dating services are supposed to be experimienting with avatars also.