--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > shempmcgurk wrote:
> > >In light of the fact that only 19 of 100 contacted had seen the
> > >movie, do you think it was fair of the AP to lead with: "The
> > >nation's top climate scientists are giving 'An Inconvenient
> > >Truth,' Al Gore's documentary on global warming, five stars for
> > >accuracy." ?
>
> I am not sure I yet understand what occurred.

Why don't you read the article?

> There are clearly more than 100 climate scientists in the US /
> world.

However, not all of the climate scientists in the
U.S. (not "the world"--"the nation" refers to the
U.S. specifically) would be considered the *top*
climate scientists," you see.

> I have heard the figure 10,000 used. Though perhaps not explicitly
> stated in the article, its strongly implied that these 100
> scientists contacted were a sample of the 10,000 (or so) qualified
> scientists.

No, actually what was implied was that these 100
were the *top 100* climate scientists in the U.S.

The question you want to be asking, I think, is,
Who decided which were the top 100?

> That 19 of the 100 in the sample responded is pretty typical. Most
> research, marketing and political samples have high non-respondent
> rates. Its an issue, but not an unsurmountable problem. Particllary
> if the sample size was targeted at being larger than necessary, to
> account for non-respondents.

Actually, if you read the article, what you'll find
is that AP doesn't specify how many of the 100
responded.  The 19 cited are those who had either read
the book or seen the movie and were willing to comment
to AP; AP didn't consider any other responses.  It
*does* say (if you read the article) that *most* of the
scientists it contacted had *not* read the book or seen
the movie.

So it wasn't that 81 of the 100 scientists didn't
respond, but that only 19 of the respondees were
qualified to comment.

> Did all 19 that did respond support Gore's main points?

Again, it's not all who responded, but all who had
seen the movie or read the book and were willing to
comment to AP (19 in number).

Of the 19 who had seen the movie or read the book and
were willing to comment, all, according to AP, were in
agreement that Gore had made no serious mistakes in
the science.