Peter,

I have a synthetic head on mine too.  I only use it as a small drum to
jam with friends inside so I never noticed the limitation with the
lack of tuning.  I love the sound when you put your hand inside the
drum and pull it out as you strike it.  Booowwwooomp!  A little like
the big tabla drum.

Curtis